Total Pageviews

Friday, September 27, 2013

The Legendary Dukes Drive In

July took us to the legendary Dukes Drive In. Back in the 70's-80's Dukes was the place to be on a Friday or Saturday night. The place became well known for being the center of Chicago's street racing scene which at that time was a very serious deal. The cars and people that ran here became famous around the country. It was also a place where all the cool street rods and street machines where at. Many where magazine feature cars at one time or another. I started going here with my parents back in the early 80's on Saturday nights. Then when I built a car I went there with my buddies. It was a cool and mysterious place. From standing in the parking lot you couldn't tell what was really happening here. Later on when we where let in on the secret. Things got very interesting. Dukes, And another place called Zigs and a White Castle around 71st street became meeting places for street racers late on Friday and Saturday nights. I never got involved with racing down here as I knew my limits. This wasn't the place to experiment. Anyway's In the 90's things kinda dried up The Drive In's where gone except for Dukes. The crime in the area had led to an anti cruising law that was strictly enforced and people just stopped going. In recent years Dukes has been revitalized and has really become quite happening. They have "Race Car Night" which drags out alot of the old crowd. Check out the pictures and try to make it down there some time. You'll be glad you did.



No comments:

Post a Comment